Friday 10 April 2015

The Yeti

I did think that moving to a colder climate would cause my obsessive tendancies to be more directed toward coffee, chocolate or even food in general (people who know me well will understand this), however, since moving to the Southern Highlands all I can think about is the temperature gauge.

It has become a bit of an obsession. I wake up ...'what temperature is it?'. I go to bed ... 'what temperature is it?'. I am sipping coffee while writing a blog...'I wonder what temperature it is?'...it's insane!

I'm not quite sure what I think is going to happen when I see that little number on my mobile phone screen (and yes, even though it's only autumn, it's already a little number). Maybe not having employment at the moment is causing my brain to short circuit. Maybe I'm daring the number to surprise me with how small it is. Maybe I'm fearful of how small it is.

Cold and I aren't friends. And that's probably because my favourite activities are writing, thinking, reading, craft and eating (note lack of physical activity here). I used to think the Sydney winter was cold and now I'm in a place that can actually use the word 'cold' with more authority. A place where autumn is already colder than the dead of winter in my last house. A place where a winter day is going to be colder than I've ever been. In my life.

A trip to the local shopping centre makes me stand out like a beacon. I'm ready to don gloves, scarf and overcoat (after all, the temperature outside is my winter) and the locals are walking around in shorts and a light cardigan or sweater. Some are even wearing open shoes! Are they mad?

Part of me thinks that maybe I should be trying to pretend that I'm ok with being only half dressed. [Teeth chattering] 'Lovely day today, isn't it? Nice and brrrrrisk'.... while feeling like I've stepped into the fridge. After all, that would save my overcoat for when I really need it.

However, the other part is uncompromisingly self-preserving. I will wear the overcoat, and hang what everyone thinks, I need to stay warm! And on with the gloves and scarves - no longer a back-of-the-wardrobe standby for that one cold day on the coast, these items are now going to get a work out.

Or I could follow these tips on how to cope with being cold...though number three may be challenging!

So if you are venturing down to the Highlands in the next few weeks, just look out for me... I'll be the one looking like a Yeti.

2 comments:

  1. Surely there are people out there who've felt colder than me (so far, anyway). Anyone got any stories about the coldest they've ever been??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate. We armed ourselves with these heavy winter gear when we lived in the US East Coast, then acclimatised and have not used them as much or since! On the plus side - you get to show your scarf collection.

    ReplyDelete